Head Start is a new initiative in Victorian Secondary Schools that supports students to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship whilst also completing their Year 12 Certificate.
By providing a flexible VCE or VCAL timetable, the program maximizes the time a student can spend within paid employment per week. Students also benefit from a strong focus on the development of literacy and numeracy skills, as well as quality Vocational Education training delivered at Certificate III level.
Each Head Start student:
- Is individually matched to an employer who is committed to mentoring young people within their industry.
- Has access to Certificate III level courses that have been identified as leading to genuine employment pathways.
- Is paid a government regulated wage whilst completing their apprenticeship or traineeship.
- Is supported by a Head Start Learning Leader to complete their Year 12 Certificate in either the VCE or VCAL.
- Is mentored by a team of dedicated Head Start Industry Coordinators both during and beyond their school certificate completion.
- Will develop the necessary skills and experience to secure full-time employment post-school.
Hallam students are eligible for the Head Start program at any year level, building upon the range of Vocational training opportunities that exist within the school.
Each Head Start team member has demonstrated experience within the employment and Vocational training sector and works closely with Hallam staff to ensure the best outcome for each student.
Download a Head Start expression of interest form (pdf)
Course list and occupations (pdf)
If you wish to meet with a member of the Head Start team to find out more, please contact us via email at: email@example.com