Community Resources/Help Lines during Coronavirus Pandemic
Due to current Coronavirus restrictions and remote learning any student wanting to speak with the school’s nurse needs to make contact with the Wellbeing Team and ask for a referral.
Hello! I’m Anna and l am the Secondary School Nurse at Hallam Senior College.
For the last 8 years I have supported the school through the Secondary School Nursing Program, which sees me at the school on Mondays and Tuesdays. I support and work with the school’s wellbeing team
I am a Division One Registered Nurse for 29 years now and have taken further studies throughout my career in specialty areas of Mental Health and Sexual Health. I have had my specialist working experience in adult and youth mental health clinical and community settings.
What can l help you with?
- Support & provide you with information about making healthy choices about your health and wellbeing
- Support and provide you with information about Sexual Health & Relationship concerns
- Support you with referral and information about Drugs/Alcohol/Smoking
- Support you with managing stress and/or referral to youth mental health clinicians
- Support you to improve your coping strategies with mental health and wellbeing
Other things l do…
- Encourage Healthier School Communities
- Develop and Encourage Greater Connections for Students at School, Home, and their Community
- Work with Teachers to Deliver Health Education Sessions
- Help Develop and/or Support Wellbeing Programs and School Events to Improve students Health & Wellbeing.
- Provide Teachers with educational Resources for Health & Wellbeing Lesson/curriculum development
What l don’t do…
- Provide First Aid at your school
- Long Term Counselling
- Provide Medication
- Provide educational advice regarding educational/learning problems
- Provide financial, housing assistance (l can refer you to the appropriate service for support)
As a member of the school’s wellbeing team, my role involves health promotion and health education activities within the college such as R U OK Day and other Health Awareness Days. I also support young people individually if they ask for assistance about a health issue. Teachers and parents can also refer students for assistance and health information, students can also refer themselves.
Just some activities that secondary school nurses role include is providing individual or class Mental Health, Self Esteem, Relationship and Sexual Health, Drug and Alcohol Education, including Quit Smoking Programs, Health and Hygiene presentations, and information & referral to other health and wellbeing providers can also be supported with students permission.