May 27th 2021
A Return to Remote and Flexible Learning from Friday 28th May to Thursday June 3rd inclusive
Dear Parents and Carers,
As you are aware, the situation regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve.
We know that this will cause many challenges for families and your support during this period of uncertainty is appreciated.
As you would be aware the Victorian Government has now advised that all schools will move to remote and flexible learning for all students from Friday May 28th to Thursday June 3rd. The Department of Education has identified Friday May 28th as a Student Free Curriculum Day with no classes to be held. Staff will use this time to prepare for remote learning.
This means that all students who can learn at home must learn from home. This is a very clear directive by the Victorian Government based on the advice of the Chief Health Officer.
This is not an action being taken lightly, and I understand it may cause you and your family concern and stress. Please know this step is being taken to slow the spread of the virus and ensure the health and safety of all Victorians.
All staff have been working hard to put curriculum plans in place to ensure continuity of learning and to support the wellbeing of all our students. We have reflected on the previous Remote Learning period and made some changes to try and address some of the previous challenges. Our main focus has been in providing consistent and predictable routines for the students.
Some of the changes are:
– All students access class lessons using the Compass Portal.
– Compass will also allow students to access daily tips about personal wellbeing from our Wellbeing staff for students to use throughout the week to monitor and maintain their mental health.
– Daily check-in calls with students by Staff Advocates to track attendance, student wellbeing and academic progress.
– Daily uploading of class activities and instructions for learning in the ‘Lesson Plan’ box in each class in compass.
– All work to be submitted through ‘Learning Tasks’ on compass
– Each subject will have at least 1 Webex lesson with students each week. All students are expected to log into this call.
Resources are key to ensure the success of students. During the previous period of remote learning all students had access to IT. If there has been a change in circumstances and a student does not have access to digital technologies at home – laptop or the internet – please let the school know (9703 1266) ASAP.
Students have been required to take home all items from their lockers. They need to collect theory books from their teachers if these are the common resource used in class.
This is clearly going to be a challenging time for all of us. It’s going to be critically important that we work very closely together to ensure that we provide the very best possible support for the ongoing wellbeing and learning of our students and your children. If there are issues with students working remotely from home please contact the Year Level Coordinator (details on Compass).
Thank you for your support during this time.
Hallam Senior College